Common Symptoms and Causes of Dry Eyes
posted: Jan. 05, 2022.
Dry eye is a chronic condition caused by the natural aging process, hormonal changes, medications, and environmental factors such as air conditioning and wind. It affects both adults and children. At Lake Murray Optometric Center in San Diego, we offer a wide range of services geared toward improving your vision, with particular attention devoted to dry eye treatment.
What are the Symptoms of Dry Eyes?
As the name suggests, eyes with a lack of adequate tear flow can become dry and uncomfortable, but this is not the only symptom you may experience if you are suffering from dry eye. Other symptoms often include:
- Intense itching and burning sensations in the eyes
- Visual disturbances, including blurriness and sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision that does not go away after a few minutes
- Red, swollen, and easily irritated eyes
Causes of Dry Eye
Dry eye occurs when the eyes do not produce enough tears or if the tears evaporate too quickly. There are many possible causes of dry eye, including:
- Aging, which decreases tear production
- Medications that can reduce tear production or increase tear evaporation
- Chronic illness, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Blepharitis, an inflammation of the eyelashes
- Wearing contact lenses
- Environmental factors, such as smoke, wind, and dry air
- Prolonged computer use
Contact Lake Murray Optometric Center for Dry Eye Treatment
Although dry eye can be a real nuisance, there are many things you can do to alleviate this condition and improve your vision. The first step to treating this condition should involve an eye exam with a professional eye doctor to determine the cause of your dry eyes and what can be done to resolve the issue. If you are experiencing dry eyes and live in or around San Diego, contact Dr. Robert Gonzalez at Lake Murray Optometric Center to schedule an appointment. Call our team today at (619) 464-2076 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.